|Site:||MNU Online Classroom|
|Course:||Frequently Asked Questions|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Wednesday, October 16, 2019, 5:36 AM|
Table of contents
- Course Settings
- Where do I find my Courses?
- How can I customize my Course lists? (instructors)
- How do I find the Course Administration settings?
- How do I make my course available or unavailable?
- How do I disable auto-links?
- How do I view details of student activity within Moodle?
- How do I change roles to a student view?
- How do I view all forum posts that a student has made?
- Creating and Using Groups in Moodle
- How do I send Messages in Moodle?
- How to send emails to students in a course
- Managing Messaging Notifications
- Printing or Saving a Book Resource
Explore this Book resource for settings that you may need to check in Moodle. You do not have to access each link sequentially. Feel free to pick and choose! If you do not find the answer to your question here, please submit a help request at the Service Desk (http://servicedesk.mnu.edu/)
Where do I find my Courses?
You have several options for finding your courses in Moodle.
1. Use the Moodle Dashboard located on the Moodle homepage.
When you click on the Dashboard, you will be able to access the "Course Overview" which will organize your classes in the following categories: " All, In Progress, Future, Past, Starred, or Hidden". Using the drop-down menu, you can select which list will populate.
2. Use the "Course Overview" to sort for your courses by name or access.
Using the drop-down menu, you can select to populate course courses from most recently accessed to last, or you can list your courses, by name, in alphabetical order.
3. Search for your courses directly using the "Search Courses" box on the Moodle homepage.
To search for courses, you will need to include course catalog number and the course reference number or CRN and click “Go”.
More information can be found on MoodleDocs.
How can I customize my Course lists? (instructors)
Students and faculty have the ability to customize their course list by "Starring" and "Hiding" courses in the Course Dashboard.
To "Star" or "Hide" a course, select the drop-down menu to the right of the course name and select your preference:
Additional information concerning the Course Overview block can be found on MoodleDocs.
How do I find the Course Administration settings?
1. Enter a course.
2. Identify the settings cogwheel icon on the right side of your screen.
3. Click on the cogwheel to display course editing and configuration settings.
How do I make my course available or unavailable?
1. Enter the course
2. Click on the "Settings" cogwheel
2. Select "More"
3. Select "Edit Settings"
4. Adjust "Course Visibility" to either "Show" to make course available or "Hide" to make course unavailable.
How do I disable auto-links?
By default, Moodle will create links to resources within a course. In other words, if you create a resource and then use that resource name elsewhere in the course, Moodle will automatically create a link between the name and the resource. However, you may prefer to create these links manually, which means you will need to disable auto-linking.
In order to disable auto-linking, please follow the outlined steps:
1. Enter your course and navigate to the Course Administration block by selecting the "Edit" cogwheel in the top, right corner of the course.
2. Select "Filters"
3. From the "Filters" menu, you can choose to disable auto-linking by turning off "Activity Names Auto-Linking":
4. Select "Save Changes"
If you elect to disable auto-links, you will need to follow this process for each of your courses.
How do I view details of student activity within Moodle?
To view a student's activity within a course, start by opening the course. Locate the Administration block by clicking of the edit cogwheel in the top, right corner of the course. You will then scroll and select "More".
Then you will scroll to the "Reports" section and click "Logs":
Select "All participants" or use the drop-down menu to select individual students. You must select "All participants" or identify individual students. You cannot select two, three, etc. students at once. You can also specify specific dates and assignments to target the logs you need.
After making your selections, click Get these logs. Be patient! This may take a few moments, especially if you execute this action towards the end of a course.
You will then see a detailed list of the student's activity. This information includes time, date, and the student's actions (viewed, attempted a quiz, submitted an assignment, etc.) The activity results are listed from latest to earliest.
There is a second way to access a student's activity. If you have the Participants (People) block activate in the course, you can directly select the student logs you wish to view.
Click on Participants in the course block in the left column of your course.
Click on the individual's name.
Locate the Reports block. Click on All logs. Be patient! This may take a few moments, especially if you execute this action towards the end of a course.
You will see the same detailed list as shown above.
How do I change roles to a student view?
In the classroom, click on the down arrow next to your profile. Select "Switch role to" and select "Student".
Once you are finished with the "Student Role" select "Return to my normal role"
How do I view all forum posts that a student has made?
For a print (PDF) version of these instructions, click here.
It is possible to view all of a student's postings and responses for the discussion forums within a course. However, you cannot select individual forums. To view a student's postings:
1. Click on any forum in the course.
2. Click on the student's name (not the posting).
3. This will take you to the student's profile page. Under "Miscellaneous" you will select "Forum Posts" to view all initial postings and responses:
4. A page will populate providing all student responses and posts, organized by latest posting first and descending to the earliest posting date.
How do I send Messages in Moodle?
Teachers, students and other users may send and receive private messages via Moodle. This is in addition to receiving notifications about assignments, forum discussions etc.
More information about messaging in Moodle can be found in the following video:
How to send emails to students in a course
For a print (PDF) version of these instructions, click here.
An instructor can send messages to all participants at once via the News Forum within a course. This is preferable to using the "Messages" system in Moodle. Both send the message to the student's MNU email account. The difference in the News Forum also sends a copy of the message to the instructor's email account. Messages do not sent a copy to the instructor.
Managing Messaging Notifications
As an instructor or manager in Moodle, you may often receive notifications in your email inbox that a student has submitted an assignment, posted to a forum, etc. While this can be helpful, it can clog up your inbox, especially if you are teaching multiple courses.
You can manage your incoming messages from your Preferences in Moodle. Follow the steps below to manage your incoming notification messages.
Click on the down arrow next to your name in the upper right corner, so that your Dashboard menu is available.
Click on "Notification Preferences"
Manage your notifications to your personal preference.
You will want to focus solely on the "Email" section of the preferences. You will have the option of selecting notifications for when you are logged in (online), or when you are not logged in (offline).
Printing or Saving a Book Resource
Book Resources give you and your students the option of printing the book or the individual chapters. Within the Book Resource, click on settings cogwheel and select wither "Print Book" or "Print this chapter".
A new window will pop up that will give you the option to "Print the Book (or "Chapter"). You can print this resource to a selected printer, or you can save as a PDF.