|Site:||MNU Online Classroom|
|Course:||MNU Technology Tutorials|
|Printed by:||Guest user|
|Date:||Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 2:47 AM|
Importing a course
How to Import a Course
If you have previously taught a course in Moodle, or if you have been working on a development version of a course and you are ready to begin using it, you will want to use the Import function to copy the structure and content to another course.
To import, follow the outlined instructions:
1. Login to Moodle.
2. Click on the title of the new course you would like to import content into.
3. Create the same number of sections in the course, as the course you plan to import. If you need to add more sections to equal the number in the original course, click "Add Sections" in the bottom right portion of the course:
4. Click on the "Edit" cogwheel in the top, right corner and select Import:
5. A list of previous courses will be displayed. Choose the course you want to import. If it is not in the list, do a search. To facilitate your search type in the course name, catalog number and CRN (5-digit number). Example: EDUC-1234-54321. (Use dashes to separate the information – no space between dashes).
6. Click Continue once you have selected the course.
7. The first page will be a "Backup Settings" page. Please keep everything checked here and click Next.
8. Deselect any activities you do not want to copy into the new course as you scroll through each section. Click Next.
9. Review all selections and once satisfied click Perform Import.
Click on the link below for a set of instructions on how to import a previous course into a new semester course.
Inserting Department/School Banners into a Course
It is expected that all courses have the proper department or school banner located at the top center of every Moodle course. Your course, if imported from a previous course, may already have the correct banner. If not, to upload your department banner, follow the outlined steps:
1. Turn Editing On in your course
2. Select the "Edit" cogwheel in your Zero block:
3. Upload the banner by selecting the "Insert/Edit Image" icon. A pop-up will appear to allow you to upload your image:
4. After the image is selected, click "Insert" and "Save Changes".
Add an Announcement Forum
Announcement forums allow teachers to post important class message to students in the Moodle classroom, as well as send the message to student emails. To add an announcement forum to a course follow the outlined steps:
- Click on the edit cogwheel in the right hand side of your course, and select “Edit Settings”:
- In the course settings, scroll to “Appearance”. Select the number of announcement forums desired (one should be plenty) and then save and display:
- After the forum is created, you are then able to force student subscriptions to ensure the posting goes to student emails.
Change all dates in the imported course
Faculty now have the opportunity to adjust course due dates and activity completion dates in the dates report of Moodle. To access the feature, while you are in a course click on Action Menu (upper right corner), More..., Reports Tab, Dates.
The following video details how to access the dates report, as well as how to make course date changes:
Adding Images to Courses
When images are added to any Moodle course, it is important to be mindful of purpose and necessary. Any images added to a Moodle course must include a description of the image to meet accessibility standards. The description must provide students with a clear understanding of the image.
Moodle, by default, provides an image description text box for all images. It is faculty's responsibility to ensure these descriptions are clear and purposeful for any images added to a course.