Webconferencing tool tutorials for Faculty

Site: MNU Online Classroom
Course: MNU Technology Tutorials
Book: Webconferencing tool tutorials for Faculty
Printed by: Guest user
Date: Monday, April 6, 2020, 7:48 AM

Skype for Business

Skype for Business is available to all MNU students, faculty, and staff through the Microsoft 365 account. It is a free install. This tool is especially useful for online students who wish to contact their instructors for a 1:1 video chat, but can also be used in face-to-face situations. Please check with your individual instructors to set up meeting times. A set of print instructions is available for both Windows and Mac.

Print instructions (Windows and Mac)

Zoom videoconferencing

Zoom logo

Zoom is our newest webconferencing tool. The following videos (subchapters) will provide you with both video and webpage instructions for using Zoom. You do not have to view these tutorials sequentially. Feel free to explore the topics you need. If a topic you need is not listed, you can find more tutorials at the Zoom Help Center. Zoom is web-based; however, a desktop client download is available for Outlook and for mobile devices. The Outlook add-in is highly recommended for all laptop and desktop computers. 

Anyone with an MNU account, including students, will automatically receive a Zoom Basic license to use this product by simply logging in at zoom.mnu.edu. This provides capability to host meetings of up to 40 minutes in length, with up to 300 simultaneous participants. Note that one-on-one meetings may be of unlimited length, even with a Basic license.

Upon departmental request, faculty and staff may have their license upgraded to a full License (formerly called a Pro license) by sending a email request to lmshelp@mnu.edu. Pro licenses allow meetings of unlimited length with up to 300 participants.

If you have any questions or issues with Zoom, please submit a helpdesk ticket through the MNU service desk

Creating a Zoom Account

To create a Basic Zoom account, go to zoom.mnu.edu.

Select "Sign in" and use your MNU email credentials to log in. 

How do I download the Zoom plugin for Microsoft Outlook?

The link below will guide you through the process of installing the Zoom Plugin for Microsoft Outlook. This is a very convenient way to schedule a meeting or start an instant meeting.

Zoom plugin for Outlook

How do I join a meeting?

The following video will guide you through the process of joining a Zoom meeting. The link below the video will provide you with additional instructions for joining a meeting depending on your device and/or connection.

How do I join a meeting?

How do I install and use Zoom in my web-based Outlook?

You can install the Zoom for Outlook add-in for your own use.

1. Go to Zoom for Outlook in the Microsoft App Store.
  2. Click Get It Now.Download icon for Zoom for Outlook
  3. Follow the Microsoft App Store prompts, to complete the installation. 

Scheduling a Meeting

1. Open your Outlook web calendar and click New to create a new calendar event.
  2. Enter meeting details like the title, location, and guest list.
  3. Click the three dots in the top toolbar. You will see the Zoom sidebar open, prompting for your Zoom credentials.Menu selection to add Zoom to a Meeting
  4. Click Zoom
  5. Click Add a Zoom MeetingAdd Zoom to a meeting
  6. Sign in to your Zoom account. If you are already signed in to the Zoom web portal, it will log you in automatically.
    Note: The meeting settings will automatically populate with your default settings found in your Zoom web portal in My Meeting Settings.

Viewing and Editing Meetings

1. Open your Outlook Web Calendar.
  2. Click on a Zoom meeting, and click Edit.
    Zoom meeting invitation
  3. Click the three dots in the top toolbar. Sign in to your Zoom account if prompted.
  4. Click Zoom
  5. Click Settings
    Change meeting settings
  6. Change your meeting options and click Update to apply the changes.
    Note: Click Load default settings to load your default settings found in your Zoom web portal in My Meeting Settings.
    Change meeting settings

How do I add Zoom to my Moodle course?

Zoom can be added to any Moodle course through the resources available to you in the "Add an Activity/Resource" menu.  Once a Zoom link is in a course, the link can be used for the duration of the course, and faculty will not need to send out an additional link for students to access the Zoom meeting space.

The following video details how to add Zoom to your classroom: 

How do I schedule a meeting?

The following pages will guide you through the process of scheduling a Zoom meeting. You will have the ability to schedule a meeting using Microsoft Outlook, desktop portal, or the Zoom app.  Select your preferred method of scheduling to view the tutorial. 

How do I schedule a meeting in Outlook?

The following video will guide you through the process of scheduling a Zoom meeting. The link below the video will provide you with additional instructions for scheduling a meeting using Outlook.

Scheduling a Meeting in Outlook 

How do I schedule a meeting in a desktop portal or app?

The following video will guide you through the process of scheduling a Zoom meeting. The links below the video will provide you with additional instructions for scheduling a meeting using your desktop portal or app.

Schedule a Meeting Through the Portal or App 

Using the Zoom App in a Session (This document may also be shared with students who may prefer to use the app.)

How do I invite others to a meeting?

The following link will guide you through the process of inviting others to join a Zoom meeting. 

Invite Others to Join 

How do I start a Zoom meeting via Skype for Business?

You can start a Zoom meeting from Outlook or directly from the Zoom website or app, you also have the option of downloading a Zoom plugin to start meetings via your Skype for Business contacts. 

The following link will guide you through the process of downloading the appropriate plugin and starting a Zoom meeting via Skype for business.  

Zoom Skype for Business Plugin 

Conducting a Zoom meeting

Click on the following subchapters to view tutorials on how to conduct meetings in Zoom. These tutorials will provide you with information on how to start a meeting, record a session, share your screen, create and use breakout rooms, and add Closed Captioning.

How do I start a meeting (as a host)?

The following link will guide you through the process of starting a Zoom meeting as the host

Starting Meeting as a Host 

How do I record a meeting?

The following video will guide you through the process of recording a Zoom meeting. The link below the video will provide you with additional instructions for recording a meeting, finding a recording, and other playback questions. 

Recording FAQs

How do I share my screen?

The following video will guide you through the process of sharing your screen in a Zoom meeting. The link below the video will provide you with additional instructions for sharing your screen depending upon the device being used.

Share My Screen  

How do I share multiple screens simultaneously?

The following tutorial will guide you through the process of sharing multiple screens simultaneously with participants. The link below the video will provide you with additional instructions.

Sharing multiple screens simultaneously

How do I use break out rooms?

Zoom offers the ability for instructors to place participants into breakout rooms. This is especially convenient when facilitating large groups. The following video will guide you through the process of using break out rooms in a session. The link below the video will provide additional information and instructions.

Using breakout rooms

How do I use closed captioning?

Closed captioning can be enabled for a Zoom meeting. However, either the host or a designee must be able to type in the captioning. Please watch the following video for instructions on how to enable and use closed captioning. The link below the video will provide you with additional information and instructions.

Enabling Closed Captioning

How do my students join a meeting?

The following document is a quick tutorial for student access to Zoom. The instructor may wish to share this document with students prior to a session.

Quick Zoom Tutorial

Troubleshooting

The subchapters below will provide the user with important information for resolving audio and video issues.

How do I test and configure audio?

If you are experiencing audio issues, please watch the following video. This tutorial will demonstrate how to test and configure your audio settings for Zoom. The link below the video will provide you with additional information and instructions.

Configuring my audio

How do I test and configure video?

The following link will provide you with information and instructions on how to test and configure your video settings in Zoom. Please click on the appropriate platform you are using (Windows, Mac, etc.). Instructions are also available for Android and iOS apps.

Testing and Configuring my video settings

Zoom Help Center

The following is a link to the Zoom Help Center.  The Zoom Help Center offers a variety of tutorials, best practices, and training for users. The Help Center has additional topics to explore.

Zoom Help Center