General Course Information for Students
Recommended Technology for Students in MNU Courses and Programs
To participate successfully in courses in the various MNU programs, (and particularly for all online courses and programs) all students must have individual access to a personal computer of one of the following types (Recommended: no more than three years old):
1. Microsoft Windows:
- Windows personal computer (desktop OK, laptop recommended), with the Windows 7 or newer Windows operating system, or a Windows 8.x or Windows 10 tablet computer (e.g., Microsoft Surface) or newer.
- NOTE: Windows Smartphones are NOT sufficient technologies by themselves.
- Mac (desktop OK, laptop recommended), with the Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard) or newer Mac operating system
- NOTE: Apple tablets (e.g., iPads) and Apple smartphones (e.g., iPhones) may be handy to have for some courses and activities, but they are NOT sufficient technology by themselves.
- No other devices are supported or recommended for MNU online courses and programs
- Android devices (tablets and smartphones) WILL NOT work for some critical functions.
- Chromebooks and other Netbook computers MAY NOT work for some features and functions, and therefore are not recommended.
4 Recommended Extras:
- Webcam, for creating presentations for assignments
- Multimedia headset (microphone and headphones) for creating presentations for assignments and for participating in online real-time conferences. A USB mic/headset is recommended for better audio quality.
At least one week prior to the first session of your course or program, you must be sure your computer has current versions of the following software that may not have been initially installed on it:
- Firefox web browser (this is the recommended browser for most MNU online activities)
- Adobe Flash Player
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Office 2013 (for Windows) or 2011 (for Mac), or a later version.
All MNU students may download the full Microsoft Office Pro product for free from the MNU portal once they have their student login ID and password.
You must have reliable access to the Internet. At least 1 Mbps bandwidth is recommended.
Dial-up and satellite-TV Internet connections are NOT recommended.
If you have any particular questions about technology in your program, please contact your program advisor.